5 Best & 5 Free VPNs for Nigeria in 2024
In 2017, NCC has ordered to block access to 21 sites in Nigeria. It made Nigeria’s Paradigm Initiative to check if popular messengers are available in the country. The findings have shown that WhatsApp, Telegram, and Facebook Messenger are available in some networks. A VPN service can solve the problem with access to any site or service efficiently.
The Internet here is classified as partly free by “Freedom House” experts because no official data is showing that the local government takes steps to monitor the emails, chats, or other online conversations of its citizens.
Unfortunately, there are more and more proofs that demonstrate that security on the Internet is put at risk. Today many countries enact laws to restrict freedom of expression on social networks. They also put a veto on certain websites.You can go round all these troubles.
5 best VPNs for Nigeria
- ExpressVPN: Perfect VPN with 256-bit encryption that will protect your data in Nigeria for sure!
- NordVPN: One of the best providers for Nigeria with robust encryption and protocols!
- Surfshark: Super-fast provider with military-grade encryption and fast speeds!
- CyberGhost VPN: Reliable VPN offering a 45-day money-back guarantee and friendly customer support!
- Private Internet Access: Great provider that offers zero traffic logs and access to over 30000 servers worldwide!
5 free VPNs for Nigeria
- ProtonVPN: Premium service you can rely on with a free plan without time or traffic limits.
- Windscribe: Some time ago it was 100%, now it offers only a free plan suitable for Nigeria.
- Hide.me: Its free package allows unblocking blacklisted content in Nigeria and hides your IP.
- HotspotShield: This VPN offers a free plan with a 500 MB daily traffic limit.
- TunnelBear: The VPN with several packages. You won’t have to pay for its ‘Free’ plan.
Recommendation: If you can’t pay for a VPN in Nigeria, I would propose you to start with VPNs with a free trial period. You can test their features for a limited time. But it will help you to decide if a service is worth its money.
Internet Censorship in Nigeria
Although there is no obvious censorship imposed on Nigerian citizens using the Internet, it comes without doubts that it exists. The most widespread reasons for censorship are saving national values and political regime.The eavesdropping from the part of the government is being conducted there. All Internet users in Nigeria are under hindered control, which belittles the right of Internet users for online privacy.
Streaming Services in Nigeria
There are a lot of locally made social media products in Nigeria. They are approved by the government.But, in general, streaming availability here leaves much to be desired. It is difficult to find a company that would stream foreign movies in Nigeria. Of course, you will not find Netflix there either.Although the market of such kind of service is full of up-to-date technologies providing protection on the Internet, a VPN is considered to be one of the best services for Nigeria. And here are some reasons why:
You’ll just have to conduct research to find the best VPN for you. Alternatively, you can rely on my experience and try one from the list.
Comparison of VPN services for Nigeria
|British Virgin Islands
|3000+ servers in 105 countries
|5900+ servers in 60 countries
|3200+ servers in 100 countries
|10200+ servers in 100 countries
|30000+ servers in 84 countries
Top 5 VPNs to use in Nigeria
In this section, you’ll learn what VPNs are the most suitable to use in this African country. I’ve tested their functions and ability to use Kodi addons, stream different services, and download torrent files.
Although ExpressVPN doesn’t have servers in Nigeria, the provider possesses powerful servers around the world. They help to bypass geo-restrictions in Nigeria in a matter of a click.ExpressVPN is located in the BVI that guarantees users’ data privacy and a no-logs policy.
- No servers in Nigeria
- Apps for all platforms and devices
- Split tunneling for user convenience
Extra 3 months and 100% security
Read more: Full ExpressVPN review
NordVPN rules the huge server park that consists of 5400 servers placed in 59 countries on 6 continents. They are extremely efficient in terms of streaming services unblocking thanks to obfuscation.Besides, NordVPN headquarters in Panama that follows the laws that forbid companies to register data about their customers.
- Perfect for Netflix
- Fast servers wolrdwide
Advances VPN features + 67%% off
Read more: Full NordVPN review
Surfshark doesn’t have servers in Nigeria, the service is very efficient to go round geographical restrictions on streaming sites like Amazon Prime, Netflix, etc.Its offshore servers are everything you need to be free on the Internet in Nigeria.
- Camouflage mode
- The BVI location
- Unlimited number of simultaneous connections
Perfect service for $2.49/mo
Read more: Full Surfshark review
CyberGhost VPN possesses more than 10200 servers located in 100 countries. 35 servers are placed in Nigeria. It’ll help you to access local sites while being abroad.Besides, the service is headquartered in Romania known for no laws to keep users’ data.
- Dedicated servers for streaming and torrenting
- 7 allowed connections per account
- Reasonable price
Read more: Full CyberGhost VPN review
Private Internet Access
PIA is a reliable tool to unblock restricted sites in Nigeria. It won’t leak your IP thanks to reliable protocols (PPTP, WireGuard, L2TP/IPsec, and OpenVPN) and AES 256-bit ciphering.
- Absolutely no logs
- Easy to set up and use
Read more: Full PIA review
Sometimes, it happens that free VPNs monitor the private data of its users and share it with third parties instead of providing 100% privacy and security.Here you’ll find only trustworthy servers despite their free nature.Warning: Free VPNs in this rating have some restrictions you are to know before deciding to subscribe to one of them.
This Swiss-based VPN offers its free package with access to servers in 69 countries, medium speed without time limits. Besides, there are no monthly traffic restrictions for this plan.However, the ProtonVPN free plan is not suitable for torrenting.
This VPN also offers a free package you can use as long as you wish. At the same time, you get access to servers in 10 countries with a 10 GM traffic limit.
Hide.me is also suitable for websites unblocking in Nigeria.
Free HotSpot Shield
100% privacy is possible for $0 per month thanks to a HotspotShield free version. This time, the speed is rather slow (about 2 Mbps). The daily traffic is restricted to 500 MB.
TunnelBear is another VPN with a free plan and a traffic limit (500 MB per month). However, this time, all countries are available for both paid and free plans.
Why do you need the best VPN for Nigeria?
There’re many technologies known to provide their users with some level of defense on the Internet. We know such technologies as anonymizers, onion router, proxy servers, etc.
But all the mentioned variants do NOT guarantee privacy, security, and anonymity three-in-one. The only way to achieve the goal is to use the best VPN for Nigeria.
Is it legal to use a VPN in Nigeria?
Despite some bills by which the government aims to restrict freedom of expression on social networks such as Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook, Nigeria continues to be one of the countries with the most significant number of internet users.
Luckily, using a VPN is completely legal there! And lots of people are getting used to it to achieve extra security.
Does a VPN provide users with complete anonymity?
Remember, you can never be completely anonymous on the Internet. If you are going to use a VPN for some illicit purposes, you will be obviously caught by the police!
It is also crucial to choose a VPN that doesn't save logs! But we'll consider this topic a bit letter.
What are the best VPN’s for Nigeria functions?
The best VPN for Nigeria unconditionally provides you with privacy, security, and anonymity. Moreover, it can protect your device against phishers, cybercriminals, surveillance agencies, hackers, etc.
It is extremely important, as there are many cyber threats nowadays. They are hiding in the darkest sides of the Internet. It means your personal data such as your name, phone number, financial information, billing address are always at stake while you surf the Net.
How can it be? The answer is as simple as that:
What are the reasons to subscribe to a VPN in Nigeria?
Various problems make users subscribe to VPN services in Nigeria. But we decided to single out 5 most significant:
1. Many journalists, as well as bloggers, were arrested for expressing their ideas and opinions on the Internet. Thus, it is evident that people surfing the Internet with Nigerian IPs are limited in expressing their thoughts. One should take serious topics that are better to escape.
2. Although such platforms as Facebook, YouTube, and Twitter are freely available in Nigeria, still there are some restrictions. The services like Netflix, Hulu, and BBC iPlayer are difficult to access without a special tool. Thus, only 15.6% of Netflix TV shows and 11.2% of Netflix original movies are available for netizens using Nigerian IP addresses.
3. The Nigerian Internet Service Providers have to provide regulatory agencies with the necessary information on its users. In such a way internet users from Nigeria are not hidden from the prying eyes.
4. Over 2100 websites were hacked in Nigeria in 2015. 585 of them belonged to the government of the country. The number of cyberattacks victims was even more impressive – 97 million users. All in all, no one is safe.
5.The residents of Nigeria quite often have to pay more than the residents of other countries of the world. And the local pricing system is NOT the point. It is referred to online shops, booking tickets, and whatnot.