Best VPNs for Popcorn Time in 2023
Popcorn Time is a free streaming service that gives you unlimited access to the most popular movies and shows. But because it's based on P2P, your privacy and safety can be at risk. Therefore, you'll need some help from a trustworthy VPN for Popcorn Time.
A VPN will protect your torrenting efforts and prevent any privacy breaches. Additionally, it will stop your Internet Service Provider (ISP) from slowing you down with bandwidth throttling.
So, read through the list, get the best VPN for Popcorn Time, and stream your favorite shows and movies like there's no tomorrow!
Best VPNs for Popcorn Time: shortlist
- NordVPN: the best VPN for Popcorn Time. The provider offers an extensive server list, some of the fastest speeds in the industry (thanks to NordLynx), and P2P-optimized servers.
- Surfshark VPN: a Popcorn Time VPN with no device limit, RAM-only servers, and the Bypasser tool for routing VPN traffic via select apps only.
- IPVanish: affordable and versatile VPN for Popcorn Time. It comes with real-time protection, unlimited simultaneous connections, and an independently-audited no-logs policy.
- Proton VPN: security-first Popcorn Time VPN that offers VPN Accelerator for excellent speeds, broad device compatibility, and Secure Core for preventing network-based attacks.
- PureVPN: a VPN for Popcorn Time with dedicated IPs, port forwarding, and one of the biggest server fleets in the market.
How to install a VPN with Popcorn Time
- Choose the best VPN for Popcorn Time. My favorite is NordVPN, now with a massive discount!
- Install the VPN app on the device of your choice
- Connect to a server best suited for you
- Open up Popcorn time and binge-watch anything you want!
Why do you need a VPN for Popcorn Time?
Getting a VPN for Popcorn Time should be a no-brainer, as the service is not entirely safe on its own. Because it's a platform based on P2P file-sharing, anyone with the right tools can see your activities on the web.
Without a VPN, you're leaving your IP address and activities associated with it exposed. Copyright holders take infringement very seriously, and you might find yourself in their crosshairs. It's even worse when impersonators (trolls seeking to get a laugh out of someone else's misery) choose to target you, often seeking monetary gain with blackmail.
Moreover, some countries ban torrenting altogether. You might get fined or even imprisoned if they catch you downloading copyrighted files illegally.
Additionally, even if P2P is legal in your country, your ISP can throttle your bandwidth. This can lead to abysmal downloading speeds, lagging, and never-ending loading screens. Luckily, you can avoid these issues by getting the best VPN, which will let you fly under the radar and download as many movies and shows as you want.
Best Popcorn Time VPNs: overview
My primary mission was to find VPNs that will ensure your safety and privacy while streaming on Popcorn Time. The provider research criteria consisted of three main points: allows P2P sharing, has robust security features and doesn't collect user activity data. Additionally, I looked for some extra useful features, like port forwarding, dedicated IPs, or split tunneling.
As a result, the listed top Popcorn Time VPNs include them and offer exceptional speeds, excellent coverage, and loads of servers. Plus, they can easily bypass geo-restrictions, meaning that you can binge movies and shows anywhere.
- 5400+ servers in 60 countries
- Independently-audited no-logs policy
- P2P-optimized servers
- NordLynx tunneling protocol for blazing-fast speeds
- Doesn’t have a router app
- Only 6 simultaneous devices
NordVPN is the best VPN for Popcorn time because it ensures total security. It's based in privacy-friendly Panama, where collecting logs is not required, so your online activities won't be tracked. And this provider's no-logs policy has been audited twice by third parties, ensuring a spotless reputation.
Here, you'll find great global coverage, with suitable server options on every continent. All of them allow torrenting, but you'll benefit the most from dedicated P2P servers. Moreover, downloads will be over before you notice it and the streams extra smooth, thanks to the proprietary NordLynx tunneling protocol.
Every subscription comes with 6 simultaneous connections you can utilize on all major operating systems, such as Windows, iOS, Android TV, etc. And if that's not enough, the Smartplay DNS feature lets you stream on devices that don't usually support VPNs. Otherwise, you can set up NordVPN on your router for full household coverage.
You can make the most of Popcorn Time with split tunneling and SOCKS5 proxies. Essentially, both do the same thing – route VPN traffic through chosen apps only. But only split tunneling encrypts it.
Read our full NordVPN review here
- 3200+ servers in 100+ countries
- All servers are RAM-only
- Doesn’t limit the number of devices used
- Extra protection tools – GPS Spoofing, IP Rotator, NoBorders modes
- Bypasser tool (split tunneling)
- The no-logs policy hasn’t been audited
Surfshark is another great Popcorn Time VPN choice. The provider doesn't have to collect any logs, as it's based in the Netherlands, so your privacy is safe and sound. Additionally, you get essential security features, like bank-grade encryption, leak protection, and a robust kill switch.
There are plenty of servers to go around, and all of them have torrenting enabled. And due to the trusty WireGuard tunneling protocol, you get to enjoy 4K-ready speeds. Moreover, the Camouflage Mode feature will help you use Surfshark and torrent trouble-free in highly restricted countries, like China, Russia, or Venezuela.
On top of that, there's no device limit, so you can set up the VPN on everything you have in the house and stream Popcorn Time effortlessly. What's more, if you own consoles or smart TVs (devices that don't support VPNs), you can utilize the Smart DNS feature to circumvent this problem.
With Surfshark, your most-used feature will probably be Bypasser. It's this provider's name for split tunneling – just select which apps you want to be encrypted by the VPN and continue browsing like usual.
You can read our full Surfshark VPN review here
- 2000+ servers in 50+ countries
- Independently-audited no-logs policy
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Antivirus for real-time protection
- Split tunneling and SOCKS5 proxy
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Can’t pay for the service anonymously
If you're looking for an all-around great and safe Popcorn Time VPN, IPVanish is an excellent option. It's packed with all the necessary essentials to keep you safe no matter what you're doing online. Additionally, this provider's no-logs policy has been audited by third parties, proving its reliability.
The whole network is P2P-optimized, so finding a server for Popcorn Time will be a breeze. More so, all hardware is self-owned and bare metal, meaning better performance and tighter security. And if you pick the WireGuard protocol from the available ones, HD movies and shows are a guarantee.
The service has many nifty features, such as OpenVPN Scramble. It puts an extra layer of security and allows you to use IPVanish and torrent in countries like China, Saudi Arabia, or UAE. Additionally, the provider offers dedicated apps for many operating systems and you can protect them without limitations.
Just like NordVPN, this provider offers split tunneling and SOCKS5 proxies. And there's a solution for people afraid of downloading malware-infested files – the VIPRE antivirus software.
Read our full IPVanish review here
4. Proton VPN
- 1700+ servers in 63+ countries
- Independently-audited no-logs policy
- Great speed over long distances due to VPN Accelerator
- Split tunneling and port forwarding
- Ad and malware blocker
- Won’t be able to stream foreign content
If safety is your main priority, Proton VPN has you covered. It's a superb Popcorn Time VPN which ensures your privacy thanks to the favorable jurisdiction (Switzerland) and a strict zero-logs policy. Additionally, this service has a fantastic free version that you can use if you're on a tight budget.
There are plenty of servers to go around, and the ones optimized for P2P file sharing are marked with a double arrow. While the WireGuard protocol brings excellent performance (as expected), the star of the show is the VPN Accelerator feature. It can boost your connection speed by 400% and works particularly well over long distances.
Proton VPN is one of the few providers that offers port forwarding, which maximizes your connectivity while downloading torrents. It's only available on Windows, though.
Now, if you're tired of invasive ads, constant user tracking, and potential cyber attacks, Proton VPN has a solution for that. It's aptly called NetShield and does exactly what the name suggests.Read our full Proton VPN review here
- 6500+ servers in 78+ countries
- Independently-audited no-logs policy
- Enhanced Wi-FI security
- Anonymous payment options
- Split tunneling and port forwarding
- Additional features cost extra
Based in the privacy-friend British Virgin Islands, PureVPN is one of the best choices for Popcorn Time fans. It's an ideal VPN to protect your torrenting efforts with a twice-audited, strict zero-logs policy. And it includes excellent security features to boot.
PureVPN has one of the largest server networks in the market, with torrenting enabled in all countries where P2P is legal. Stable and fast connectivity no matter what you're doing on the interwebs is expected with the WireGuard protocol, too.
The service offers dedicated apps for all major OS, like Android TV, Windows, Mac, etc. Plus, PureVPN can help you bypass geo-blocks and unlock multiple streaming platforms, such as Netflix, Hulu, and Disney+.
Split tunneling is available, but you only get to use it on Windows and Android devices. Port forwarding is also an option, yet you'll have to pay extra for access to this feature.
Read our full PureVPN review here
How to choose the best VPN for Popcorn Time
Finding a suitable VPN for Popcorn Time by yourself can get tricky, especially if you don't know which features to prioritize. I've tried and tested loads of services according to the essential criteria:
- Utmost privacy. Total anonymity can only be ensured if your VPN provider isn't tracking what you're doing online as well. It's mandatory for the service to have a strict zero-logs policy, and it's even better if it has been audited by an independent third party.
- P2P-friendly. You won't be able to download anything if the Popcorn Time VPN doesn't allow P2P traffic. Additionally, features like port forwarding and split tunneling will make everything quicker and smoother.
- Robust security. The VPN for Popcorn Time should offer all core security features, like NASA-grade encryption, leak protection, and a solid kill switch. Additional features, such as tracker blockers or Stealth VPN, will also come in handy.
- Expansive network. Global coverage is essential for connecting to countries where torrenting is legal and finding the best server for you. Additionally, seek VPNs with self-owned and RAM-only hardware for more security and better performance.
- Excellent speeds. You don't want to be stuck in a constant loop of loading screens when enjoying Popcorn Time. Therefore, you'll need a VPN with the latest tunneling protocols.
How to set up a VPN for Popcorn Time on your device
Popcorn Time is a fantastic alternative to subscription-based services like Hulu and Netflix. However, it's a torrent-based platform, meaning some content might be copyrighted, and watching it might get you fined. Thus, you'll need a VPN to avoid any troubles.
While many people enjoy Popcorn Time on a computer, you might want to binge while on the go or on the big screen. To stay absolutely secure in every instance, you'll need to install a VPN on your most-used devices.
How to set up Popcorn Time VPN on PC
- Grab the best P2P VPN, such as NordVPN which has servers dedicated to torrenting
- Download the appropriate app, Windows or Mac, and install it on your computer
- Connect to a server that works best for you
- Get the Popcorn Time application and set it up
- Open the streaming app and begin watching!
How to set up Popcorn Time VPN on mobile
- Subscribe to a premium VPN. You can never go wrong with NordVPN, the ultimate Popcorn Time VPN.
- Set up the dedicated client on your iPhone or Android phone
- Pick a server located in a country where torrenting is allowed
- Install the Popcorn Time app on your mobile
- Browse the vast selection of movies with Popcorn Time VPN!
How to set up Popcorn Time VPN on Chromecast
- Pick the best Chormecast VPN. Don't hesitate and choose NordVPN, the provider with broad device compatibility.
- Install the VPN and connect to a server
- Download the Popcorn app on your computer. Make sure that your Chromecast is connected to it and on the same Wi-Fi network
- Launch the app and stream your favorite shows trouble-free!
How to set up Popcorn Time VPN on other devices
- Choose the most reliable Popcorn Time VPN. We suggest NordVPN, now with a huge discount!
- Manually configure the VPN on your router. Most providers offer detailed instructions on their websites, and some router models have their own VPN setup guides.
- Connect any device to the newly-secured network
- Get the Popcorn Time app on the device of your choice and install it
- Binge endless content safely with Popcorn Time VPN!
VPN not working with Popcorn Time
Unfortunately, we don't live in a perfect world, and VPNs might sometimes fail us. A few of the most common issues that Popcorn Time VPN users run into are poor connectivity or the inability to log in. There's no need to freak out, though – here are some easy ways to solve the problems:
- Check if Popcorn Time is down. Check the official sources if any servers are experiencing downtime due to new updates or fixes.
- Make sure your VPN permits torrenting. Since Popcorn Time utilizes peer-to-peer file sharing for streaming, your VPN must allow torrent traffic. Therefore, check your provider's stance on P2P.
- Connect to another country. Some regions might ban Popcorn Time, so join a server in a place where torrenting is allowed, for example, Switzerland.
- Reboot Popcorn Time and the VPN. Sometimes all you need is a little restart. After that, open up the Popcorn Time app first and then enable the VPN.
- Disable third-party firewalls. Antivirus software might be preventing Popcorn Time from accessing P2P sharing websites. Whitelist the streaming service or disable the firewall and the antivirus.
- Reinstall the Popcorn Time app. Your software might be outdated, so you either have to get the latest version or delete it and install Popcorn Time again.
If the steps above don't solve the problem, try contacting your VPN's customer support. Still didn't help? You might want to switch to a different Popcorn Time VPN provider that can do its job.
The Popcorn Time VPN warning
If you're new to Popcorn Time or if you don't use a VPN, a warning will pop up whenever you press on a media file. The message encourages you to turn on a Popcorn Time built-in VPN and protect yourself from your ISP and cyber intelligence agencies.
Popcorn Time VPN is a free service that swears to hide your IP address and protect you from prying eyes. However, the provider clearly states that they do monitor user activity. Additionally, this VPN can hardly bypass geo-restrictions and offers tortoise-like speeds.
Thus, while it's not a fantastic service, it's a great reminder that a VPN for Popcorn Time is crucial. We don't recommend using the built-in VPN, but we suggest getting a reliable VPN.
Free Popcorn Time VPNs
There are countless free VPNs that claim they are perfect for Popcorn Time. But don't trust all of them – the vast majority of costless providers will either:
- collect your data
- bombard you with annoying ads
- destroy your devices with malware
It's really not worth putting yourself even more at risk, and you're better off looking at alternatives. For instance, you can take advantage of the free trials many premium providers offer for curious users. At least for a limited time, you get to utilize the full tool suite without any limitations. And when the trial is over, simply download another one from a different service.
VPNs to avoid with Popcorn Time
By now, you know which VPNs are the best for Popcorn Time. Nonetheless, we believe that you should know about providers that do the opposite of keeping you safe and anonymous. All VPNs below claim to be free, however, you pay the ultimate price by compromising your security and privacy.
|Provider||Reasons to avoid|
|Betternet VPN||Extensively logs user activity data and has issues with IP and DNS leaks|
|Turbo VPN||Includes invasive third-party advertising, malware, and unsafe permissions. Has issues with DNS leaks|
|SuperVPN||Extensively logs user activity data, doesn't even unblock web content, and has dubious ties to China|
Is Popcorn Time still worth it in 2023?
While the app is still out there, Popcorn Time lost its popularity due to constant shutdowns. Additionally, at the beginning of 2022, Popcorn Time was shut down. Nevertheless, according to the Popcorn Time Reddit FAQ, there are some workarounds you can find here.
But if you don't want to get into the nitty-gritty, numerous other ways to stream endless content exist. One of them is to get a Netflix, Hulu, or Disney+ subscription. While they're not free, you'll get loads of movies and shows to watch without potential legal trouble. Additionally, with a Popcorn Time VPN, you can bypass geo-restrictions and get content that is only available in certain regions.
If you don't want to pay, you can look into some Popcorn Time alternatives. However, you'll still need a Popcorn Time VPN to avoid any trouble and fines. So, I highly recommend picking the best VPN out there – NordVPN.
Popcorn Time alternatives
While it's sad to see Popcorn Time slowly fade away, you have to move on and find other Popcorn Time alternatives. There are hundreds of streaming platforms that offer similar services. Lucky you, I picked the best free Popcorn Time alternatives. Just remember – you'll still need a Popcorn Time VPN to stay anonymous and safe.
- Support a variety of devices, including PC, mobile, Smart TVs, etc.
- Has plenty of excellent add-ons for streaming content
- Absolutely free
Kodi is a free open-source home entertainment software and a perfect alternative for Popcorn Time. The platform has loads of plugins for downloading, streaming and organizing video content. It's similar to Popcorn Time in the way that it has a lot of unofficial add-ons that use P2P files, meaning you might get in trouble for downloading them.
Thankfully, a Popcorn Time VPN will prevent any calamities and allow you to kick back and enjoy your shows. So, check out the best Kodi plugins and stream as much as you want!
- Costless service
- Many P2P-based plugins
- Remote access
Stremio is another excellent Popcorn Time alternative. While it has fewer add-ons than Kodi, Stremio is still a worthy platform to consider. Additionally, it's one of only media players of its kind with a fully functional Netflix plugin.
Thus, if you want to binge your favorite shows hassle-free, get a Popcorn Time VPN, like Surfshark, grab the best addon for streaming, like RARBG, and enjoy the show!
- Don't need any additional apps
- Latest movies and shows in 4K
- No additional fees
Popcornflix is a website filled with blockbuster movies and shows. Unlike previous counterparts, you won't have to download any apps or plugins to watch anything. It's a simple Popcorn Time alternative that guarantees endless entertainment. Nevertheless, to protect your privacy and security, use one of the top-tier Popcorn Time VPNs.
- Supports Windows and Mac platforms
- Movies and shows in HD-quality
- Free to use
Lastly, CouchPotato is a torrent-based alternative for Popcorn Time. Moreover, you can also use the auto-download option to stream TV shows and movies with zero hassle. However, you'll need a VPN, such as NordVPN, to unblock geo-restricted content and avoid any problems.
Popcorn Time is a tremendous free streaming platform with more movies and shows than you can imagine. However, because it's basically a P2P platform, binging content there might result in hefty fines if you're not careful enough.
Therefore, you'll need one of the best Popcorn Time VPNs, like NordVPN. It lets you torrent hassle-free, guarantees stable connectivity, and ensures your privacy and security. Not to mention, this VPN will help you bypass any geo-restrictions and give you access to loads of new content on other streaming platforms and websites.
What was your favorite Popcorn Time VPN? What alternative do you use now? Share in the comments!
You might also want to read:
- Cheap VPN services
- VPNs for Netflix
- Best VPN services
- Best VPN for Spotify
- How to watch Hotstar in USA
- How to watch UK TV in USA
Is using Popcorn Time VPN necessary?
Yes, a VPN for Popcorn Time is necessary if you want to avoid any fines and troubles. This technology will encrypt your data and prevent any snoopers from monitoring your activities online. However, you'll need a reliable VPN that you can pick from our Top 5 Popcorn Time VPNs list.
Which VPN is the best for Popcorn Time?
NordVPN is the best VPN for Popcorn Time in 2023. It offers impressive coverage, breakneck speeds, as well as ultimate security and privacy. Additionally, it has P2P-optimized servers, ideal for Popcorn Time.
Can I use Popcorn Time with a free VPN?
I do not recommend using free Popcorn Time VPNs. Most of them offer no security and privacy features, leaving you exposed, and don't allow torrenting in the first place. You're better off going with premium VPNs.
Why does Popcorn Time want me to have a VPN account?
You need a VPN account for Popcorn Time to protect yourself from various dangers. A lot of the content on the platform is copyrighted, so you might get fined or even imprisoned if you don't encrypt your data and hide your actual IP address. Therefore, you need a tough VPN to handle the situation, like NordVPN.
What are the best Popcorn Time alternatives?
The best Popcorn Time alternatives are Kodi, Stremio, Popcornflix, and CouchPotato according to my research. To bypass all geo-restrictions and avoid any problems I suggest grabbing the ultimate Popcorn Time VPN.
That's how they make money. You can try the cheapest premium service Surfshark for less than $2 per month. Torrenting isn't safe without vpn in 2021.
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked