More than 2 millions Snapchat user accounts has leaked
Hackers putted the database of 2,1 million Snapchat users for sale. Snapshot is old and very popular instant messenger for media sharing around kids and young people.
82% percent of teens in US use Snapchat at least once a month
I bet you wish to check if your kid in the database.
Table of Contents:
In the morning, an anonymous hacker posted on one of the dark forums a leaked database with the personal data of Snapchat users.
This message quickly spread among users, who thanked the hacker for such “valuable” information for them.
The consequences of this leak are dangerous because now hackers will be able to use users' personal information for their purposes, for example:
- use email to create a phishing link to extort money
- sell the phone numbers or extort money by posing as an employee of a bank or other financial institution
Anyway, this is unpleasant news for all Snapchat users who made it to this list.
What data has leaked?
The hacker provided a sample database with hacked confidential user information. CoolTechZone research team analyzed the sample and found out that the database contains following details:
- Area Code
- Phone numbers
- Links on Facebook & Twitter
The anonymous cybercriminals didn't name the price for his product. He had laid out almost all the information from the database in the public domain; it means that any enthusiast who accidentally got into this database can use it, sell it or exchange it for other information.
What is the Snapchat?
Snapchat is a popular entertainment social network that attracts not only users who want to have fun and chat with like-minded people.
It uses instant-messaging function and allows users to share their photos and videos for a short period of time, before they will become invisible.
One big drawback of Snapchat- it is impossible to register anonymous without putting your phone number. This creates a bunch of specific phone number based threat to teenagers using Snapchat.
Based on the market analysis data:
- Snapchat has over 293 millions users on 2021
- 61 percent of users are female
- 38% of users are located is US
- 82% percent of teens in US use Snapchat at least once a month
- 36% of US teenagers use Snapchat as favorite social platform.
How can I keep my data safe?
That you were not included in the list of victims, I advise you to adhere to a few simple rules:
- Use VPN when chatting with someone on Snapchat
- Do not give your interlocutor your data (phone number, email, address); if you feel that the interlocutor is showing excessive interest in your privacy − immediately stop the correspondence
- Do not post photos of your home or personal belongings on Snapchat; do not write details about your vacation or absence from home − attackers can use this information and rob you
Everything is not as critical as it seems; you need to be aware and comply with Internet security measures − then no hacker threatens you!
See you later!
✔️ Advanced information to protect your Internet connection
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked