How to change your region on Netflix with VPN in 2023
Netflix offers a lot of great content, but unfortunately, some of these movies and TV shows are not available in other countries. But no need to worry since you can change your region on Netflix by using a VPN. With a VPN, even if you are far away from home, you can still enjoy the usual streaming services that you get when you are in your home country.
Here, we have gathered some of the best VPNs to help you in making the best choice. After choosing your VPN, just follow the guideline below to help you successfully change your Netflix region so you can watch your favorite movies and television shows wherever you are.
Step-by-step guide to changing your Netflix region
- Get Neflix if you still don’t have an account
- Download the VPN, and after installing it, you can proceed by logging in. We recommend NordVPN, which is great for unblocking streaming platforms.
- Choose the country that you prefer to change your Netflix region with and connect to its VPN server.
- Once you visit the Netflix website, you will find that you are automatically redirected to the country that you choose.
- Log in to Netflix using your account and enjoy watching your favorite movies and television shows.
- In case you can’t access the content, just clear the cookies and cache on your browser.
Why would you want to change your region in Netflix
Netflix is one of the best streaming services that are available anywhere in the world, except in some countries. It offers almost 2,000 television shows and more than 4,000 movies.
However, the content that they offer from one country to another differs because of copyright restrictions and licensing. If you choose a movie or TV show that is restricted in your country, you will get a message that says, “Oh no! This title currently isn’t available to watch in your country.”
The licensing agreements in some regions differ, which is why some movies and shows are available in one country but not in other countries. By changing your Netflix region, you can watch the content that is not available in the region where you are currently located. And the quickest and simplest way to do this is to use a VPN.
Best VPNs for Netflix in 2023
- NordVPN – the best VPN for Netflix
- Surfshark – a budget-friendly VPN for Netflix
- ExpressVPN – reliable Netflix VPN
- CyberGhost – Netflix VPN with a huge server list
- PrivateVPN – streaming-focused VPN for Netflix
5 Best VPNs to change your Netflix region - overview
We’ve tested multiple VPNs and analyzed their speed, reliability, and overall value to help you in choosing the best VPN for changing your Netflix region. The following are our top picks.
1. NordVPN – best VPN for changing Netflix region
NordVPN is considered the most reliable VPN for changing Netflix region. They have over 5900 streaming servers that are located in more than 60 countries. Furthermore, NordVPN is well-known for providing secure access to Netflix.
Additionally, it works well with different Netflix libraries, such as the US, UK, Australia, Canada, and France. The best thing about NordVPN is that it has the fastest speed with unlimited bandwidth. This means that it is perfect for high-resolution streaming. It can connect up to 6 devices.
Aside from Netflix, this VPN can also give you access to other streaming websites, including HBO Max, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, and others. Also, some of NordVPN’s servers are specifically designed for video streaming. Most of all, if you encounter any problems, 24/7 customer support is always there to help you.
Another advantage of NordVPN is that it can provide you with the best privacy protection and security. It has a no-logs policy audited by PricewaterhouseCoopers, so you can be sure that your private information is safe and secured. Aside from the kill switch, it also features Threat Protection which can protect you against ads, malware, and trackers.
2. Surfshark – affordable VPN for Netflix
Surfshark gives you access to Netflix US and other Netflix libraries such as France, India, Japan, UK, and Netherlands. In case you attempt to access an unsupported library, then it will automatically redirect you to Netflix US. In other words, no matter where you are currently staying, every server in Surfshark works well with Netflix.
Most importantly, among the providers in this list, Surfshark is the only provider that permits simultaneous connections on limitless devices. This is a perfect option for a family or a bunch of housemates, or a hippie commune.
If you are using an Apple TV, game console, or any other device that does not support VPN apps, then there is no need to worry cause Surfshark has got you covered. Your subscription with Surfshark includes a standalone Smart DNS service. To watch movies and TV shows on Netflix US, you just need to set this up. This service is designed for devices that allow you to change DNS settings.
3. ExpressVPN – secure VPN for Netflix
ExpressVPN is a reliable provider that has more than 3000 servers in over 105 countries so you can enjoy a huge variety of Netflix libraries. Based in the British Virgin Islands, ExpressVPN works great with Netflix US, France, Canada, Japan, the UK, and other countries. In case you encounter any problems with your chosen server, then you just need to get in touch with a 24/7 live customer support agent to help you in connecting to the optimal server.
Additionally, aside from Netflix, ExpressVPN allows you to access other popular streaming services such as HBO Max, Hulu, and Amazon Prime Video. Best of all, regardless of what server you choose, it can provide you with optimal speed, along with a reliable service, allowing you to enjoy streaming TV shows and movies smoothly without any disruptions.
ExpressVPN values your security and privacy, so hackers will not be able to monitor your online activities or access your personal information. It features an audited and court-proven no-logs policy with excellent download speed.
4. CyberGhost – easy-to-use Netflix VPN
5. PrivateVPN – impressive Netflix VPN
Comparison of the best Netflix VPNs
|Ranking for Netflix||1||2||3||4||5|
|Devices Supported||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux, Smart TVs, Routers||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux||Windows, MacOS, Linux (command line), iOS, Android||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android|
|Average Speed||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||71 Mbps|
How we picked the best Netflix VPNs
To determine which VPNs are the best ones for Netflix, we tested each one of them. Depending on the OS, we either connected to the VPN and logged in to Netflix or used the Netflix app and played a movie or TV show.
- If the video played smoothly without any buffering, then it means that the VPN is appropriate for Netflix. If we have doubts about which server to connect to, then we get in touch with the VPN’s customer support and inquire which servers reliably work with Netflix.
- A particular VPN can only pass our test if it can be used for Netflix videos right away. This means that there is no need to do any manual configuration beyond the VPN app.
- There should also be some level of consistency. This means that you should not keep on reconnecting to the same server repeatedly, hoping that you can find an IP address that is unblocked for Netflix.
- Lastly, if available, we prefer to use the paid subscription versions of VPNs.
Can a free VPN unlock different regions of Netflix library?
Netflix uses the most powerful VPN-blocking technology. Hence, it is quite challenging to find a free or paid VPN that can unblock various region Netflix libraries. You might find a free VPN that allows you to access Netflix, but most likely, it comes with some limitations, such as slow speeds, data caps that limit the number of hours you can stream, and a few server networks.
Fortunately, there are some free VPNs that can provide you with consistent access to Netflix and can keep you safe online. The best VPN for Netflix is NordVPN. Even though this is not fully free, it offers a 7-day free trial and a 30-day money-back guarantee wherein you will be given a full refund if you feel that this is not appropriate for you.
How to change Netflix region on different devices
Netflix can be accessed by more than 190 countries all over the world. The Netflix library of each country differs from one another. There might be some movies and TV shows that are not available in some countries. You can only change the country on your account if you move to a different location. Fortunately, using a VPN allows you to access the Netflix libraries of other countries.
Change Netflix region with a VPN on TV
- Search for a reliable VPN app and install it. You can choose NordVPN
- Connect to the server of the Netflix region that you choose
- Launch the Netflix app and log in if needed
- Choose the content that you want to watch from the library
Another alternative would be to install a VPN on your router. However, this will require some manual configuration.
Change Netflix region with a VPN on PC (Windows/MacOS)
- Sign up and connect to NordVPN.
- Are we missing some step that should say what to do next – perhaps ‘connect to some region on VPN’?
- In your web browser, visit the Netflix website
- Start browsing the Netflix library and choose the video that you want to watch
Change Netflix region on Android
- Subscribe to NordVPN
- Download and install the VPN app from the Play Store
- Launch the VPN app on your Android device
- Log in to the app and choose the server you want to connect to
- Open Netflix and log in
- Enjoy watching your favorite movies and TV shows
Change Netflix region on iOS
- Open the App Store on your device
- Search for NordVPN
- Download and install the NordVPN app
- Open the NordVPN app and choose the country that you want to access Netflix with
- Open Netflix and log in
- Choose the video content that you want to watch
Bypass Netflix VPN, proxy, or Unblocker Error
This Netflix streaming error usually occurs once Netflix has detected that you are using a VPN or proxy service. Luckily, there is a simple and quick way to fix it. The following step-by-step guide can help you in fixing it in case you get the error message “you seem to be using an unblocker or proxy.”
Step-by-step guide on how to fix the Netflix Proxy Error:
- Subscribe to a VPN that can unblock Netflix, such as NordVPN
- Download and install the VPN app, or you can also add the browser extension
- Launch the browser extension or the VPN app and connect to your home country’s server
- Delete the cache and cookies on your browser. This is done so that Netflix will be able to forget your real IP address and region. As a result, it can now allow the new IP address from your VPN
- Visit the Netflix website and choose your preferred content
Most probably, by now, you can already access the content on your preferred server. If you still can’t, then another alternative would be to choose another server. Or you could try getting in touch with your VPN’s customer support to help you in resolving this issue.
Best Netflix libraries by country
To know which countries have the biggest libraries, please refer to the table below. It also shows the total number of movies and television shows in each country.
|Country||Total Content Available||Total Movies||Total Television Shows|
Even though Netflix US has more titles than the others, it does not have everything. However, you can gain access to other content if you use a VPN. All you need to do is choose the server of the appropriate country, and you will be able to watch movies and TV shows which you can’t find on Netflix US.
Exclusive Netflix shows and movies by country
|Country||Shows and movies exclusive in this country|
|Australia and New Zealand||Gods and Generals, The Oath, 90 Minutes in Heaven, Wag the Dog, Lethal Weapon 2, etc.|
|Canada||Hunter Hunter, Where’d You Go Bernadette?, Cafe De Flore, A Sense of Humour (Le sens de l’humour), The Threesome (Le trip à trois), etc.|
|France||Problemos, The Beaches of Agnès (Les plages d’Agnès), La Pointe Courte, Black Panthers, Cleo from 5 to 7, etc.|
|Italy||First Reformed, 7 Days in Entebbe, Kickboxer: Retaliation, Torque, God Willing, etc.|
|Japan||his, Baseball Girl (Yagusonyeo), Mishima: The Last Debate (Mishima Yukio vs Tôdai zenkyôtô: 50 nenme no shinjitsu), Wonder Woman 1984, Buddy Games, etc.|
|UK, Ireland, and Isle of Man||All at Sea (Wide Blue Yonder), Armored, The Bang Bang Club, Best Dog India, Fear of Rain, etc.|
|USA||Pokémon Master Journeys: The Series, Final Account, My Boss’s Daughter, Crocodile Dundee in Los Angeles, House Party, etc.|
It is undeniable that Netflix is one of the most well-known streaming services that are available in more than 190 countries. However, it is also important to consider that not all Netflix content can be accessed by each country.
So, if your desired content is not found in your country, then you must change your Netflix region. This can be quickly and easily done by using a VPN to watch your favorite Netflix shows and movies from anywhere.
There are a lot of reliable VPNs out there, such as NordVPN, that are affordable and can help you in changing your Netflix regions. Aside from this, they can also hide your location so you can browse safely and securely.
How do I change my Netflix streaming region?
Using a VPN is the quickest and easiest way of changing your Netflix region, allowing you to watch your favorite movies and television shows that are not available in your home country.
Is Netflix content region-locked?
Yes. Netflix has a huge library of content. However, most of it is restricted depending on where you live. The fact is the movies and shows that you can view will greatly depend on the region you're in. However, if you use NordVPN, then you can access the content from the US, UK, or other countries.
How can I watch US Netflix in India?
Those in India can stream US Netflix movies and shows by connecting to NordVPN. It will provide a new IP address for accessing the US library from India and other countries.
Which country has the best Netflix?
The US has the best Netflix library, with over 6,000 titles. It’s not the biggest one, but it offers the most sought-after movies and TV shows. In the meantime, the Czech Republic has the largest library with nearly 9,000 titles.