How to change Google Play Store country in 2023
The apps you can see and download on the Google Play Store vary between countries. So, if you’re travelling or moving abroad, this means you can lose access to certain apps.
The Play Store determines your region and what apps you can download by looking at your IP address.
However, you can access other Play Store locations if you alter your IP address with a VPN (Virtual Private Network) service. With the help of a VPN, you can change your virtual location to one of your choosing – but do bear in mind that you can only do so once every 12 months.
How to change Google Play country with VPN
- Download and install a reliable VPN – we recommend using NordVPN.
- Connect to your desired server in a foreign country.
- Install the apps you need whilst connected to the server.
- It's as easy as that!
Why would you change Google Play country?
What you see on the Google Play Store depends on where you are. For example, you will have different apps available to you in the UK than you have in the US.
Due to licensing agreements, practically all major platforms engage in this practice, which is known as geo-blocking. Numerous apps, films, and songs are inaccessible due to geo-restrictions.
If you try to access a geo-locked item, you’ll likely be greeted with the ‘this item isn't available in your country’ Google Play message.
As an example of geo-restrictions, you can only access US-specific streaming services like Hulu and Peacock TV if you live in America.
Sky Go and BBC iPlayer, on the other hand, are only available in the UK Play Store. Therefore, you won't be able to get the Hulu app if you're in the UK or BBC iPlayer if you're in the US.
Unless, of course, you have one of the best VPN services for changing your IP address and location. Then you won’t be held back by geo-blocking on the Google Play Store and elsewhere on the web.
Best VPNs that actually change Google Play country
- NordVPN - best VPN to change Google Play Store country
- Surfshark - wallet-friendly VPN for Google Play Store
- Express VPN - super-fast VPN provider
Changing Google Play country on your devices
It’s pretty simple to change your Google Play Store country once you’ve purchased a VPN. Below are some simple steps on how you can do this on any device.
Change Google Play country on mobile phone
To change your Google Play country on a smartphone, follow these instructions:
- Choose a reliable VPN provider. First, you need to pick a trustworthy and well-performing VPN service. Our #1 pick for frequent Google Play Store users is NordVPN, the best VPN on the market.
- Connect to a VPN server. Open your VPN on your phone and connect to a server in the country you want to switch to. For example, if you want to change your Google Play country to the US, connect to a server in the US.
- Clear Your Google Play Store App Data. Go to your phone’s Settings and scroll down to the Apps option. Press on it and find the Google Play Store app. Open the app’s Storage settings and tap on Clear Data.
- Open the settings menu on your Play Store app. Tap on your profile icon at the top right corner, then tap on Settings.
- Select General and click on Account and device preferences.
- Switch countries. When the Play Store detects you’re connected to the internet with a different country’s IP address, it will offer you the option to switch your country.
Change Google Play country on PC
You need a VPN to change your Play Store country on a desktop too. However, you must first make a new payment profile for the other nation. Not to worry, it's easier than using the mobile Play Store app to change countries.
- Go to pay.google.com on your web browser. This takes you to the Google payments center. The page you land on depends on whether you use your account frequently, or you’re using a completely fresh account.
- Add a payment method (for new accounts). You can ignore this step if you’re using an old account. When you set up a new payment profile, add your credit or debit card details along with your address. Use your address in the new country. If you don’t have one, try using the address of a hotel or business.
- Go to the settings tab located in the top right corner.
- Change your country/region. Click on the pencil icon next to Country/Region. The dropdown will give you the option to create a new profile. Click on this.
- Select the country you want to switch to. It needs to be in the same country as the VPN server you connect to.
- Add an address. You will need an actual address to set up your payment profile for the new country. Just type in a random neighborhood and Google will do the rest for me. It doesn’t have to match the address you entered in step two.
- Go to the profile settings to confirm. Once you’ve finished with this, you’ve successfully created a payments profile for the new country.
- Connect to your VPN. Use your VPN to change your IP address to the country you’re switching to. Just connect to a server in that country.
- Open the Play Store on your browser. Go to the top charts section in the Google Play Store and you’ll see all the popular apps in the country you chose.
How to skip adding a payment method to Google Play
The app prompts you to add a payment method for the new country once you change the Google Play country setting. If you genuinely are switching countries and have a reliable payment method, this is not a problem. Conversely, there is a solution for you if you don't have one.
You can make a new Google account and use it to sign in to the Play Store in order to successfully change your country and your payment method. You can also use an account that isn't associated with a payment method.
Connect to your VPN server, then, create a new Google account, and add it to the Play Store app. Clear your app data on the Play Store again and open it.
Now, you should see your location changed to the chosen country and all the relevant apps on display.
Reasons Google Play country does not change with a VPN
Sometimes things don’t work as they’re supposed to, and that can be the case when trying to change Google Play countries with a low-quality VPN. Naturally, you’re unlikely to encounter problems using NordVPN, the top VPN for changing the Google Play Store region.
Here are some common fixes should you run into any issues:
- Clear the data and cache in the Google Play App
- Connect to a different server
- Ensure leak protection is enabled
- Contact your VPN provider’s customer support team
- Try using a different VPN, for example, NordVPN or Surfshark VPN
How do I install an app not available in my country?
Use a VPN. The simplest way to bypass the Google Play Store’s geo-restrictions is to use a reliable VPN like NordVPN. You can then connect to a server in your desired country and change your Google Play Store region, allowing you to install apps typically unavailable in your region.
Why does Google Play think I'm in a different country?
Your IP address might have changed. If you use a VPN regularly or recently visited another country, Google may think you are residing in this country. You can contact Google’s support team or change your region manually.
How do I change my country on Google Play?
You can change your Google Play location without traveling using a VPN service. The best option is NordVPN, which is packed with thousands of servers across various countries worldwide. It’s lightning-fast and equipped with top-notch security features for protecting you against malicious hackers and digital viruses.
Why can't I change my Google Play country?
You might not be able to change your Google Play Country if you recently updated it within the last 12 months. You can only update your region once a year.