How to use VPN to change IP and location in 2023
Even though we use VPNs primarily for internet security and privacy, many people use them because they can change the IP address of their device, smartphone, tablet, or even full router to a completely different place.
This is particularly useful if you want to access geo-blocked content, such as Netflix and other streaming services. Also, a VPN helps if some resources are blocked by your school, work, or even the government.
This article will look at how VPNs function and how to change your IP address and VPN locations.
How to use VPN to change location: a step-by-step guide
When you utilize a VPN service like NordVPN, your IP address and physical location are concealed. Here’s how to do that:
- Install a VPN on your device. Our top choice is NordVPN.
- Open the VPN app and log in.
- Connect to the desired nation and server from the list.
- Now you have a new IP address. Browse freely!
3 best VPNs to change location and IP
- NordVPN - has a sizable network of 5500 servers in 60 countries that is constantly becoming more secure and faster.
- ExpressVPN - one of he quickest and safest options with 3000 servers in 91 countries.
- Surfshark - a strong contender among our choices because it offers unlimited devices per account for a modest first-year charge.
How we picked these VPNs
In making our decision, we looked at a couple of factors. Let's take a look at them:
- Encryption. A good VPN places a high focus on security. What is the purpose of subscribing if the users' data weren't always kept secret, which is why they are termed virtual private networks? Encryption is, therefore, of the utmost importance, and the VPNs mentioned above are renowned for it.
- Server list. Another measure you'll frequently encounter when looking for a top VPN is the number of servers the VPN utilizes. NordVPN, for example, has over 5500 servers spread across 60 nations.
- Speed. Poor VPNs perform horribly in terms of speed. A good VPN should have fast speeds so that you can browse the web with no lag. Additionally, a fast VPN will also be able to stream content without any buffering.
- Price. Finally, the cost is a factor that all VPN customers should consider. The VPNs used must be reasonably priced. Purchasers balance features and prices in a perfect world to get the best possible combination. NordVPN has the best price-value ratio because it's great and affordable.
Why would you need to change your location?
We can tell you're reading because you wish to understand how to change your VPN's location for some reason. We won't probe, but we will let you know that altering the geolocation on your device opens up a wide range of applications and opportunities. Here are the main justifications for requesting a VPN location change:
Access geo-blocked content
Changing your location by a VPN will work if you've ever wished to watch a tv show from Netflix collections besides the US collection. Additionally, if you discover yourself abroad and yearn for your preferred binge-worthy series, it works the opposite way.
We've evaluated VPNs for Hulu, Disney+, ESPN+, and much more, and they enable us to access streaming services from other countries as if we were in the United States.
VPNs are mainly used for online security. Hackers will be deterred by hiding your true IP address & virtual location. VPNs encrypt all internet data to and from your gadgets, which is useful when connecting to unsafe, unsecured Wi-Fi networks.
How to change location and IP address on different devices
It's important to note that how VPNs work on different devices varies, so we're going to give you a couple of quick guides on how to go about a VPN location change on various devices:
How to use VPN to change location on iOS (iPhone/iPad)
- Select a VPN program to download from your App Store.
- Create your account, then log in. Although you may be required to make a subscription payment, some VPNs are available for free, and others, such as NordVPN offer free trials.
- Select "Allow" once the software asks to generate VPN configurations.
- Pick the country you want as your new location. For instance, choose that nation when switching your Netflix area to access that nation's Netflix library.
- Select "Connect" to launch your connection, thus changing your region.
How to Use VPN to change location on Android
- Subscribe to a dependable VP like NordVPN.
- On the Android phone of your choosing, download the VPN.
- Select a server located abroad.
- Obtain any content you choose without limitations!
How to Use VPN to change location on Windows or macOS
- Change the location of your computer to the desired country.
- Set up a VPN of your choice. We suggest NordVPN, now 63% off
- Join a server located wherever you want.
- Make a new Google account or Apple ID and select the desired country.
What if location change with a VPN does not work?
Most issues than result in a VPN not working can be solved quite quickly. Here’s how to do that:
- Check the VPN for leaks. Some less reliable providers may still leak your IP and DNS data. You can easily check this online.
- Switch to another server. Your chosen server might be malfunctioning, so trying again with the different one usually helps.
- Disable geolocation API. Your browser might be sending your GPS information, so check the permissions you’ve given to the website that doesn’t work.
- Delete your cookies. Your browser stores cookies that can hold old information about your IP and premises.
- Switch to a third-party DNS. This will reduce the chances of sending data to a website from a “wrong location.”
While VPNs offer the simplest and most dependable method of changing your device's location, they don't always function. In some circumstances, you'll need to adopt a different strategy from merely changing your IP address.
Obtaining apps that aren't localized: Apps that are only accessible in certain locations can be found in the App Store, just like Netflix. You cannot install those apps even if you modify your VPN location. The fix is to switch the region or country on your Apple ID and iPhone ID.
GPS spoofing: Applications that use IP addresses to determine their users' geolocation can be altered by VPN changes, while GPS-based applications like Apple Maps, Waze, and Find My iPhone cannot be. You will require GPS-changing technology for this type of app.
If it's none of these, however, you should switch to NordVPN since it makes it simple to reach region-locked sites from other countries.
Can the location be changed with a free VPN?
Free VPNs may work for location changes, but they have restrictions because they are free. Free VPNs frequently include the following conditions:
- Number of devices that can access your VPN account is limited
- Amount of data you spend each month, week, or day is limited
- Servers you can access and where they are located are limited
- Duration of free VPN use is often limited
- The IPs of free VPN are often already blocked
Therefore, while free VPNs may be effective for periodically altering your device's location, there are better choices than these if you wish to do so frequently. If you want to binge-watch Netflix from other countries, free VPNs won't work. Paid VPN services typically offer these benefits:
- Many servers
- No cap on data consumption
- Allows streaming
- Doesn't throttle bandwidth
Examples of paid VPN providers with free-trials and money-back guarantees that offer top services include:
- NordVPN – 7-day free trial, 30-day money-back guarantee
- Surfshark – 7-day free trial, 30-day money-back guarantee
- ExpressVPN – 7-day free trial, 30-day money-back guarantee
All in all, VPNs are fast becoming an invaluable tool for the average internet user. With the information above, you're now better equipped on VPNs, what they're used for, and how they can be used on different devices. Choosing NordVPN is ideal, as it suits your needs, enabling you to change your location and surf the internet without fear or restrictions.
Can I change my location using VPN?
Yes, you can change your location using VPN. A VPN will swap out your IP address for that of a VPN server. Therefore, you can surf the web from a different nation and access geo restricted content using a VPN.
Can you change your IP address to a different city?
Yes, you can change your IP address to a different city with a VPN. However, some providers allow changing only the country. That’s why NordVPN is a good option to try, as it allows you to choose any city you like with ease.
Which VPN can I use to change my location for free?
Proton VPN is a great VPN that allows you to change your location for free. It offers servers in the US, the Netherlands, and Japan. And while the speeds are reduced for the free version, there’s no data cap.
How can I change my mobile location through VPN?
Here are the step-by-step instructions for changing your mobile location on Android and iOS devices. All you have to do is download a VPN and connect to a chosen server. However, don’t forget that a VPN changes your IP address but to change your GPS coordinates, you’ll need a GPS spoofer.
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked