How to Use Chromecast with a VPN
Chromecast allows you to bring the best of your entertainment to a bigger screen even if your TV isn’t Smart. Just plug in the dongle and seamlessly cast your content from your phone or computer. You can cast most content, including shows and movies from popular streaming services such as Netflix, Hulu, Prime Video, and Disney Plus.
Unfortunately, you will only be able to watch content available in your region. Normally, the next step would be to fire up your VPN and bypass the restrictions. However, this method won’t work if you don’t have the new Chromecast with Google TV. This is because older Chromecast dongles don’t support VPN apps natively, and even Smart DNS doesn’t work on them.
Even if you unblock content using a VPN on your device, you won’t be able to stream it on Chromecast as you need to be on the same network to watch the content. In this guide, you will learn how to use a VPN with Chromecast.
We’ll also look at:
- How to share a VPN connection
- How to use a VPN router to unblock content with Chromecast
- The best VPNs for routers
Table of Contents:
- Method 1: VPN on Google Chromecast with Google TV
- Set up a Virtual Router on Your Windows PC
- Use a VPN router
- How to Choose the Best router VPN for Chromecast
- Best router VPN for Chromecast
- Can I Use a Free VPN for Chromecast?
- Wrap Up
Method 1: VPN on Google Chromecast with Google TV
The latest Chromecast models come with an in-built Google TV. This is good news since you can use the cast functionality and stream and watch content directly from the dongle. Additionally, you can install other apps from the Play Store or sideload them.
This means that you can use a VPN on Chromecast with Google TV without hassle. As Google TV runs on the Android operating system, you can install the VPN you want from the Play Store.
How to Use a VPN on Your Google Chromecast with Google TV
- Select a reputable VPN provider then install the app from Play Store.
- Launch the VPN and connect to a server location of your choice (where you want to unblock and stream your favorite content).
- Open your streaming apps and enjoy new content and stream anonymously.
If you have the older Chromecast with no Google TV, proceed to the next section. Things may get a little complicated, but you should have everything up and running within a few minutes.
Set up a Virtual Router on Your Windows PC
By setting a virtual router on your PC, you will be able to share your VPN internet connection with both your smartphone and Chromecast. Thus, you will be able to watch unblocked content on your Chromecast using the usual method.
Here are the steps for setting up a virtual router on your PC (Windows 10).
- Open Settings and go to Network and Internet and then select Mobile Hotspot.
- Toggle the switch to enable the mobile hotspot if it is off.
- On the same page, scroll down, and under Related settings, click Change adapter options.
- On the new window that pops up, right-click on your VPN app’s connection and select Properties.
- On the mini-window that opens up, go to the Sharing Tab, tick Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s internet connection, and choose the name of your created hotspot in the drop-down menu.
- Click OK to finish the process.
If you have an older Windows operating system that doesn’t have the mobile hotspot option, proceed as follows.
- Simultaneously press Windows + S keys, and on the search box, type cmd.
- On the Command Prompt option, select Run as Administrator.
- Type in netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=NETWORKNAME key=PASSWORD and press the Enter key. Note, on NETWORKNAME put the name you want for your network, and on PASSWORD set the password for your network.
- Next type netsh wlan start hostednetwork and click Enter.
- Now simultaneously press the Windows + R keys, type in ncpa.cpl, and click OK.
- Right-click on your VPN app’s connection and select Properties.
- Go to the Sharing Tab and tick Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s internet connection. Also, tick Allow other network users to control or disable the shared internet connection.
- Under Home Network Connection, select the name connection you have just created and click OK to finish the setup.
You have now created a virtual router and shared your VPN’s internet connection. The next step is to connect your Chromecast to your newly created mobile hotspot and enjoy unrestricted entertainment.
Use a VPN router
An alternative option which comes with the most benefits is using a VPN-compatible router. You can also flash a custom firmware on your router and make it compatible with most VPNs. Most people prefer DD-WRT-compatible routers because they offer the best experience.
With a VPN router, you get to share your VPN’s internet connection with all your devices regardless of the VPN’s simultaneous connection limit. This helps you bypass platform limits and connect devices that don’t even support VPN apps natively. Additionally, your router’s firewall settings and security will benefit all your devices.
However, there’s one downside; you need to be tech-savvy or follow instructions to the latter to flash a VPN compatible firmware on your router. If you don’t like this option, you can buy flashed routers or preconfigured routers that work with VPNs out of the box. This might be a bit pricey, but worth it.
How to Choose the Best router VPN for Chromecast
The VPN industry is saturated with many VPNs and picking the best VPN that will work on your router can be a hectic task. To make the job easier, here are some aspects you should consider when choosing the best router VPN for Chromecast.
- Router compatibility: The VPN should be compatible with your router’s firmware. It will be even better if it has a router app or applet. Additionally, the VPN should be compatible with your other devices. This ensures you can use the VPN even when you are not near your router. It should also offer multiple simultaneous connections.
- Extensive server network: To bypass and unblock content worldwide, you should choose a VPN with many servers that span a geo-graphically wide area. The servers should offer reliable and stable connections.
- Speed and Bandwidth: The VPN should offer unlimited bandwidth coupled with the fastest speeds. This combination ensures that you can download content without lags and even stream your favorite shows up to 4K quality without blackouts or buffering issues.
- Unmatched unblocking ability: Besides extensive servers and faster speeds, the VPN should be able to unblock plenty of popular streaming services such as Netflix, Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, Disney Plus, among others. The VPN should also be able to bypass various restrictions and VPN blocks.
- Security and Privacy: You should consider a no-log VPN service that offers impeccable security and privacy. The VPN should also provide other features that bolster your online security and privacy. These features include a kill switch and leak protection.
- Money-back guarantee: This is essential if you are not satisfied with the VPN service. With this guarantee, you can test all the premium VPN features without a cost since you will get your money back. Think of it as a premium free trial.
Best router VPN for Chromecast
If you are in a hurry, here is a list of top reputable router VPNs that you can use with Chromecast. You can also use them on your other devices.
ExpressVPN is an all-rounded VPN with all the best qualities. The VPN tops most VPNs as it has a dedicated router app which makes it easy to configure your router, and the app is also compatible with a wide range of routers. You can also get a preconfigured router with ExpressVPN out of the box from FlashRouters.
ExpressVPN router app also lets you do more with your router. With the introduction of Device Groups, ExpressVPN allows you to group your devices into five categories and connect them to your set location. For instance, you can group your living room devices and connect them to the US, then friends and family devices to the UK.
Besides the router app, ExpressVPN has an unrivaled ability to unblock online content and streaming platforms. Its server network that spans over 165 locations delivers lightning speeds with unlimited bandwidth. Although ExpressVPN lacks specialty servers, you can use the service for any online task.
This VPN provider is also a verified no-log VPN service. It also uses the unbreakable AES 256-bit encryption, zero-knowledge DNS, TrustedServer technology, leak protection, and a kill switch to keep your online activities safe from prying eyes.
ExpressVPN offers native apps for all computing platforms, and its subscriptions support up to 5 simultaneous connections. All subscriptions come with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
NordVPN is a top VPN suitable for any online task, from streaming content to bypassing censorship. Although NordVPN doesn’t have a router app, it supports many routers compatible with VPNs. It even offers VPN router tutorials on configuring your VPN router.
You can get a compatible router from FlashRouters, which can eliminates the hassle of flashing the router yourself.
NordVPN has a large server network of 5000+ servers spanning 60 plus countries. These servers are optimized to offer an ultra-fast connection from anywhere in the world, and some of them are even specialized to offer the best services. There are P2P servers for torrenting securely, double VPN servers for double protection, onion over VPN servers for extra anonymity, obfuscated servers for bypassing stringent restrictions, and dedicated IP servers for dedicated IP addresses.
Besides the specialized ones, NordVPN servers offer unmatched unblocking abilities. You can use the service to stream content from Netflix, Hulu, HBO, Hulu, iPlayer, Prime Video, and many others. If you connect to most servers outside the US, you will be redirected to the US version of a streaming service.
Security-wise, NordVPN uses the strongest AES 256-bit encryption coupled with fast and secure protocols. You also get leak protection, a kill switch, split tunneling and you can block trackers, malware, and ads. NordVPN is also a no-log VPN service that doesn’t collect, track, store, or share your data.
This VPN service is compatible with major computing platforms and allows up to 6 simultaneous connections. Its subscriptions carry a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Surfshark offers an excellent VPN service suitable for circumventing geo-restrictions and streaming online content. Similar to NordVPN, Surfshark also doesn’t have a router app. Nonetheless, you can get Surfshark compatible routers from FlashRouters.
Surfshark has servers that are widely distributed in over 65 countries, with the server network comprising of 3200 plus servers. These servers are also optimized to deliver the best performance with stable connections, and they offer unlimited bandwidth with speedy connections.
You can use Surfshark VPN service to unblock streaming services such as Netflix and for other online tasks such as torrenting. Surfshark special servers include multi-hop for double VPN protection, camouflage for bypassing restrictions, and No Borders Mode no borders mode to hide the fact that you are using a VPN. There are also other features such as split tunneling and a kill switch.
Surfshark is a no-log VPN with a secure setup. The VPN uses AES-256-GCM encryption with secure protocols to safeguard your connections and online traffic. Additionally, Surfshark offers a kill switch, leak protection, and a private DNS on each server. The VPN service can also block ads, malware, trackers, and phishing attempts.
Surfshark is budget-friendly subscriptions carry a 30-day money-back guarantee. You can use the VPN on any many devices as you’d like.
CyberGhost VPN boasts an extensive server network of over 7300 plus servers spread across 91 countries. The VPN doesn’t come with a router applet, but you can configure it manually or get a preconfigured router from the CyberGhost website through their partnership FlashRouters.
The CyberGhost server network allows you to unblock and access content from various parts of the world. There are specialized streaming servers that you can use to unblock more than 40 popular streaming services. These servers deliver superb speeds an they all offer unlimited bandwidth, so you can stream 4K content without buffering.
CyberGhost also comes a dedicated server profile for P2P traffic. You can use the servers in this profile to safely and securely torrent files. The VPN has a strict no-log policy, and it uses AES 256-bit encryption to protect your connection and online traffic. Its secure protocols include OpenVPN, IKEv2, and WireGuard.
Other CyberGhost privacy and security features include an automatic kill switch, DNS and IP leak protection, and No Spy servers. CyberGhost offers simultaneous connection of up to 7 devices and it comes with a 45-day money-back guarantee.
Can I Use a Free VPN for Chromecast?
Free VPNs are often tempting because they don’t break your bank. But beware, most free VPNs don’t deliver what they claim to offer. And since you are not paying for the product, you are bound to get poor service, and most free VPNs will sell your data to other third parties to meet their operation cost.
On top of that, free VPNs offer limited bandwidth with capped speeds. This is not a good combination since you cannot stream content in HD without exhausting your bandwidth in a few minutes. Furthermore, free VPNs have few server locations, so they rarely unblock online content, and you can’t access content from around the world.
Sure, there are reliable free VPNs that don’t sell your data, but most of them will bombard you with intrusive ads, and if not they will limit what you can do on the service. In a nutshell, you will need a premium VPN for streaming on Chromecast.
Using Chromecast with a VPN will help you access various online content from anywhere in the world. For older Chromecast models, you can share your PC’s VPN connection or use a VPN router. A VPN router will protect all your devices without limits on the VPN’s simultaneous connections. If you have the latest Chromecast with Google TV, you can quickly install the VPN from the Play Store or sideload one.
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked